Yep! You can do this and it works fairly well. My thanks to Jack Bishop figuring peas in their pods could be treated the same way as edamame beans in their pods. The steamed pods open easily, and are tender enough that my girls can easily open them. Best of all you can serve the tender, sweet little green orbs without all the work of shelling them.
- 1 lb. or so of peas in pods, washed well
- Some sea salt, to taste
- Fit a wide saucepan with a steamer basket and add enough water to reach from just under to 1/2 inch below the basket. Cover pan and bring water to a boil.
- Place the peas in the basket, cover and cook until the peas are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and transfer pea-pods to a bowl.
- Toss with your coarse salt (be generous, since most of the salt remains on the pods) and serve.