This Weeks Share: Kale, Broccoli/Cauliflower, Cabbage, Onions, Garlic, Cucumber, Summer Squash, Carrots/Beets, Sweet Corn, Celery and 1/2 Pint Blueberries.
- Kale: Everyone gets a healthy dose of kale this week. It is amazingly delicious right now and the stalks are wonderful to chew on raw along with your carrots and celery. Separate the greens from the midrib for braising….yum!
- Broccoli/ Cauliflower: Here we are still traipsing through the enchanted broccoli forest. Hope you all are still enjoying the bounty. Everyone should get a choice of a large head of something or a mixed bag.
- Cabbage: A head of cabbage is getting harvested for everyone and going to roll into the shares this week. Make up your favorite slaw or stir fry, or finely grate and ferment for your own delicious, organic sauerkraut.
- Onions: Nice sweet Walla-walla onions arrive in the share for you again this week. Enjoy them while they last.
- Garlic: Another head of our 2010 harvested garlic for you this week. The garlic has cured a couple weeks now, but will remain fresh for many weeks to come…. tasting better as the days go on. Try roasted garlic if you haven’t yet……yum!
- Cucumber: We have fresh, crisp market-style cucumbers for you this week. They make a lovely addition to lettuce for a super simple salad, or chill and cut rounds for your tired, puffy eyes. 🙂
- Summer Squash: Summer squash still manages to hang from our vines, so again we are helping it find it’s way to your tables.
- Carrots or Beets: Everyone should get their choice of our beets or carrots this week. Which is your favorite root crop? In case you don’t know, the beet greens are also edible and delicious, so a double bonus there. Basically they are chard, but selected for the root not the greens. This lovely picture from Becky is of our carrots after being harvested and cleaned glistening in the sunlight.
- Sweet Corn: More ears of delicious sweet corn make it back into the share this week. Hope you all enjoyed last weeks already….or you’ll have it coming out your ears…:)
- Cutting Celery: It’s back. Some of you couldn’t rave to me enough about this gem…. small stalks of very mild leafy-green celery. Enjoy it in all of your usual celery placements…..however if you like peanut butter on your celery like I do, save yourself the time it would take to coat each delicate stalk and just grab the jar and a spoon!
- 1/2 Pint Blueberries: The berry season is rapidly winding down, so we felt we better share it with you all before it’s gone. Everyone gets some blueberries in the share this week.
BERRY SHARE: This is the final week, Week 10 for our berry-share holders. We hope you enjoyed your 2 weekly pints of farm fresh fruit spray-free! Sadly all good things come to an end……and we’ll end this years berry-share with two yummy pints of blueberries for you this week. There is always next year… Oh and by the way, next year is the ‘on’ year for many of our blackberries (this year was the ‘off’ year) that have spent this season making new canes and getting trellised. So if you are a blackberry lover…..next years berry-share is a do not miss!
FARM NEWS: Well it’s a hot one today, but this is supposed to be the end of the heat, with temperatures quickly cooling into the week. I love the heat, so personally I am a little saddened by the weather report today. I don’t love to work too hard and sweat a ton in this heat, but I adore it for what it is best at…..ripening our summer crops!! Don’t go yet sunshine! We need you…or dare I even say, shudder to think this year a green tomato year? Gads!
Hope you all have a wonderful week! I’m feeling at a loss for recipes today, but hope to have some new ideas for you next week. Until then….Happy Eating!
Your Farmer’s ~ Kip, Amy and the whole Love Farm